Thursday, June 16, 2011

Outstretched Arms

This past year has had its full share of trials. Tuesday was the one year anniversary of my brother Steven’s death--a tragedy that rocked my family’s world. In January I was married and started on a journey with a whole new set of challenges and struggles. It turns out that what Jesus said is true, “In the world you will have tribulation...” (John 16:33).

Today I spent the day with Francis and her two little girls. Nicky is five and Francini (a.k.a. Pia) is almost two. A couple of years ago, my mom adopted these little girls as her “grandaughters” giving me the title of “Tia” (“aunt”). Despite the windy day, we made a trip to the park with Yacky, the dog. In the afternoon we had another adventure at the zoo and especially enjoyed the macaws with their brilliant plumage, the toucans with their colorful bills, and the talking parrots with their phrase “¡Hola! ¿Cómo estás?” (Hello! How are you?)

Throughout the day, Pia would stretch out her arms to be held. Each time she sent a thrill through my heart! In the past, Pia had always been reticent and unwilling for me to hold her. I couldn’t believe the change! My arms got quite a work-out as I carried her here and there. On the bus trip to the zoo, Pia fell asleep in my arms. As I sat there, holding her warm little body close, my thoughts turned to God.

I wonder what God feels when we lift up our arms to be held? Does He feel a thrill of joy when we raise our hands in surrender and trust--when we recognize we can’t do it on our own, and we ask Him to carry us through?

What does God feel when we let go of our anxieties and troubles and demonstrate full trust as we rest in His arms of grace? Does His heart swell with pride and joy as He looks down on His sleeping child? It makes me think of Psalm 131:2

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with his mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.

In this world we may have tribulation, but we have a Heavenly Father who is thrilled when we stretch out our arms and ask Him to carry us through.

UPDATE:

Shortly after posting my previous blog entry, Adolfo received the news he had been accepted into the program at Royal Roads University! Praise the Lord!

The past two and a half months have been filled with paperwork as we applied for the study permit and visa and as we made a trip to La Paz where we enjoyed some time with my family and got various documents legalized and translated for use in Canada.

Since returning to Santa Cruz, we have been working at my mother-in-law’s hotel while my mother-in-law has taken over the pizza restaurant.

I usually hate these “in-between” periods of waiting, but God has been giving me a lot of grace to live in the moment and enjoy today’s blessings. It’s easy to get impatient and to get anxious, but I’m trying to be like a small child who rests in Her sovereign and loving Father’s embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment